Thursday, August 1, 2013

Why start this blog

      I am not one to take time to write my thoughts down. I am more of the 'vocalize how I feel while being brutally honest' type of person. However, after speaking with my mother about how I feel that I have perfected grocery shopping for my family of five (which includes leftover lunch for two adults the next day) at around $400, she suggested I start a blog to help other parents that may struggle with feeding their family on a smaller grocery budget.

     Now I know there are plenty of excellent blogs about living frugally, living on pennies, living on a shoestring budget and so forth, but a huge portion of these blogs are stay at home mothers. They have definitely perfected it better than I have on many different things. I can only blog about my specific situation.

    Both my husband and I work so we are a two income family. We have come a long way from both working as a cashier at McDonald's raising two kids on this budget. These were very hard times for us and we made tons of sacrifices along with receiving help from my mother. We are definitely a lot better off now but, by no means, are we rich, or even well-off. We are technically still struggling.

    I am a middle school science teacher who makes less than $2,000 a month after taking out taxes, pension and insurance. A portion of income goes to my classroom supplies, science experiment supplies, and, occasionally, I help a student pay for items that I know their family can't afford such as field trips or sports related items. Contrary to popular belief, I do not get a beginning year stipend to help with school supplies and necessary classroom items I need.  90% percent of my students are on free or reduce lunch. By no means am I complaining, I am just stating facts. I love my job, I love my co-workers, and I love my students. I would not have it any other way. I am merely explaining this so you know why I have to stretch my budget in certain areas of my life. My hubby also works, he is in lower management, and makes about the same I do after taking out insurance and deductions.

    Let me start by saying about 1/3 of my income goes to housing. Most people would say that the biggest place to cut cost is housing. Now, we rent because we moved here a little over a year ago and we are also not financially able to buy. I could get cheaper housing if I choose, but then it compromises where we live. I live in a small town, with one grocery store, one restaurant, and one bank. My rent is a little higher in this area than surrounding towns; however, our crime rate is virtually zero. You can't beat piece of mind and security for your children to save a couple hundred bucks. Another cost that goes with living here is gas, it is a 35 mile drive one way for me to get to work and 20 miles one way for hubby. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love my neighbors and my community here.

    I also have student loans and two car note payments. These were not the smartest decisions at the time now that I look back; however, hind site is 20/20 and all I can do is learn from my mistakes. Once the car loans are paid off, I am doubling my student loan payments to payoff early. I am proud to say that our credit cards are paid of and stay paid off every month we decide to use them. If I can't afford to pay it when I receive my paycheck then I don't charge it.

    Due to these factors I have to cut my budget in other places in order to thrive, survive and save. More on that in a later blog. I wanted to tell you this about me so you understand that my situation is probably different from yours and others. I can only hope that I have helped, a little, for someone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment