Thursday, August 1, 2013

About Me

       Well, where do I begin... I am a mother of three beautiful children. (All mothers say their children are beautiful, but mine really are gorgeous. :) I will post pics later.) My oldest daughter, Kiara is 14, turning 15 in a month (should I start crying now?). She is starting 10th grade! Ugh, time flies when you are not paying attention.  
 
 
My middle daughter, Brianna, is 13. She starts 8th grade this year. She gets the privilege of having me has her science teacher two years in a row. She is so excited that I am teaching her again! (This is dripping from sarcasm, she is dreading it. Nothing like your mother hovering over your every move!)

Yes, two teenage daughters this close in age. I wasn't asking for trouble, I promise. Trouble just likes to find me.

My son, Evan is 7, soon to be 8, and he is ALL boy. Like bouncing of the walls, tormenting his sisters, asks me the same question 18 times looking for a different answer boy. Matter of fact, when he is at that stage of nearing me to my wits end, he is just called "The Boy". When he gets in trouble and I tell my hubby about it my sentence always starts with," 'The Boy' has done it again." He will be starting 2nd grade. He was definitely a surprise. Actually all of them were little surprises, none planned. That's what makes life fun!


  I am married to a wonderful man named Quantez (don't ask me, I didn't name him), who can, at times, drive me nuts. After thirteen years of marriage, if your husband doesn't drive you nuts at times then there are problems. (I am only kidding, don't attack me for that statement.) We were young when we met, and have grown so much since then. He is a typical man. Love sports, WWE, Spike T.V., video games, adjusting himself, and mows the lawn for me. He is also high maintenance at times. For a man with short hair, he sure takes forever to get  dressed. He won't go and check the mailbox without ironing his clothes, which takes forever! If the crease is not right, he won't stop. He is a great father. He turns into a zombie to eat the kids brains, turns into samurai daddy to beat them up (playfully, so don't yell child abuse please), and many nights are of the four of them yelling, laughing and running through the house from all their antics. He likes to sing and dance for us. (Video evidence later, nothing like blackmail tape!)

       Now about me. I am 32 years old; however, I claim 29 for the third year in a row. I am a middle school science teacher for a poor rural school in North Carolina. I moved here to take my current teaching position. I was raised in a city about twenty-five minutes from New Orleans. I was attending college during the time hurricane Katrina hit and wiped us clean. No I was not in the city when it happened, we evacuated the day before. Although we didn't flood, a lot of our stuff was looted so we took what we could and planted roots in the Memphis area. I attended the University of Memphis, who took me in without a college transfer and they paid for my college the first year I attended. I am forever grateful for their hospitality. My fourth year of college, we were flooded by the Mississippi River and lost everything. What can I say? The water apparently loves us! For my family, this flood was worse because when the water rose over the toilets, it turned to poo water. Poo water is not fun to work with! I will say, it was excellent for the bag of dried red beans on the bottom of my pantry. They were growing so fast from the poo water! Now, I don't tell you this to feel sorry for me. I tell you this part of my life because it has made me the person I am today. I may cry during the time of difficulty, but this has made our family great at bouncing back and being resilient! After this flood, my professors and classmates at the University of Memphis helped our family out again. This is why I will be forever grateful for this college.

I finally graduated, it felt like forever, and started looking for a job. Well, good luck with Memphis laying off 400 teachers so I looked outside the box. This is how I ended up where I am. I live about 45 mins from the Atlantic ocean and Myrtle Beach so I can't complain to much. With starting a family very young, without a college degree, I had to learn hard and fast how to be frugal. Now I skipped many years before I started college because it is longer and this can be something I may talk about another day. By the time I started college I was five months pregnant with my third child. It was time to finally grow up and get an education.

 Now, I do have to add, I would not have made it this far without the help of my mother and father. There has been times that I have gone crawling to them for help and they have helped unconditionally. This includes all of five of us living with them. After years of them having peace and quiet they took us in not fully knowing what they were getting into. Needless to say, they survived us. Barely... (Just kidding, Mom) I could not have asked for a better family and I know I would not be where I am without them!

     Ok, mushy stuff out of the way.

    Oh, and I have two cats. Can't forget about the fur babies, Mickey and Mallory. And the African dwarf frog named Timmy who ate all of Stewie's  food. R.I.P. Stewie, you will be missed by "The Boy"... I don't have any pics of Timmy, he is just too small.
 


1 comment: